No Interest Loan Scheme
Loans you can actually afford
Can’t afford to replace your broken fridge? Is your car in need of repairs to get you to work? Many people have moments like these.
Money stress can make us consider solutions that might not be ideal. Renting appliances or getting a quick cash loan may seem like easy options but they’re very costly, with hidden interest rates and extra fees.
A No Interest Loan Scheme is a safer way to pay for household items or car-related expenses. Loans are up to $1500, repaid over 12–18 months.
To find out more, check out our FAQ below or use the following contact details:
Sydney and the New England Region of NSW, call 02 9466 3547
ACT, South Coast NSW or Southern NSW, call 0437 723 863
Everywhere else, please contact your local Salvos for further information.
The Salvation Army is an accredited provider of the No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS) by Good Shepherd Microfinance.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can apply for a loan if you:
- - Are a low income earner/receive Centrelink benefits
- - Have lived at your current address for at least three months
- - Can pay back your loan over 12–18 months
You can only use no-interest loans for:
- - Household appliances
- - Car-related items (for example repairs, registration fees or driving lessons)
- - Beds/mattresses
- - Computers
- - Certain kinds of home repairs
- - Health items, medical and dental equipment or aids
- - Cost of unexpected relocation, funerals or veterinary expenses
No-interest loans can’t be used for:
- - Bond and rent money
- - Overdue rental payments
- - Living expenses like food or holidays
- - Gas, power or phone bills
- - Cash advances
- - Debt repayments or consolidation
- - Overdue payments to loan recipients
- - Payments for third-party private sales
- - Used cars
- - Baby items and electrical
There is no minimum age for a NILS loan. If you are under 18 but you meet our other eligibility criteria, you are entitled to apply.
This doesn’t count against you for a NILS loan.
Yes, we don’t do any credit checks for a NILS loan.
We have financial and residential criteria. They are:
- You need to hold a Centrelink Health Care or Pensioner Concession card, or
- Your after-tax income needs to be $45,000 or under for singles, and $60,000 or under for people with dependents
- You need to be able and willing to repay the loan
- You need to have lived at your current or previous address for three months so that we can see a payment history
We can waive residential requirements in some circumstances – for example if you are experiencing domestic violence or transitioning from homelessness or incarceration. Please call us on 02 9466 3547 or 0437 723 863 to talk about your situation.
If you have a current loan in arrears or you’ve had a previous NILS loan written off, you can’t apply for a new loan or a top-up loan until you’ve caught up what you owe (including write-off amounts).
If you live in NSW and apply for a NILS loan, you can save up to 40 per cent on the cost of a new fridge and up to 50 per cent on the cost of a new TV under the NSW Home Energy Appliance Program. If you don’t meet their criteria, we might be able to help you – call us on 02 9466 3547 or 0437 723 863 to find out.